Friday, April 22, 2011

Heeeere's Neekstar!

Hi, my name is Veronica, and I’ve been with the JohnC Art Ballet for ten years now.  I love this company so much for what it stands for, bringing art back into ballet.  Our director, John, constantly challenges us to go beyond what we think is possible, and that means every class is a chance to improve and discover how much more we have to give.  The standard here is very high, but there is an assumption that everyone has the potential to be great.  Which also means there are no excuses for not doing well.  You don’t get to excuse yourself from working just because you don’t have the “perfect” feet, or turnout, or the ideal “ballet body.”  While that’s what drew me to the company in the first place, it has also proved to be a lot harder than I thought.  Before this I danced with the Palms Springs Ballet and received my degree from UC Irvine in California, but I can honestly say that I didn’t really start dancing until I came here.  Even after so many years with the company, I’m still excited about the work we’re doing.  My own personal growth as an artist is very important to me, but so is watching my fellow dancers on their own journeys toward excellence. It’s been an amazing experience so far, so be sure to keep reading!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment